What Is a Face Serum & What Serum Should I Use?
Thanks to scientific advances in active skin care, facial serums have become highly effective. They are widely considered to be an essential addition to the daily skin regimen.
Once you reach your mid 20’s you may be concerned with slowing down the impact of premature ageing and maintaining the wellness and condition of your skin. This is a great time to welcome a high functioning serum to your bathroom shelf.
Why Are Serums So Beneficial to Our Skin?
Cleansing and toning are excellent first steps to clarify, refresh and prep your skin. This is followed by a daily moisturiser and SPF to help nourish, hydrate, balance and protect – but there’s a step in between that’s missing.
That’s where a face serum comes in!
Serums are designed to actively improve your skin condition at a cellular level (not just on the surface). That’s something those other products are widely unable to do.
We try not to play favourites, but serums do tend to be the most integral part of your AM & PM skincare – thanks to powerful, focused active skin care ingredients.
Active skin care ingredients are clinically proven to improve your skin health; both visibly and at a deeper level. In simple terms, they will do what they claim they will!
How Is a Face Serum Different to a Moisturiser?
Serums are nutrient rich, lightweight and quickly absorbed into the skin.
They are formulated to contain careful combinations of active ingredients and antioxidants designed to target specific skin concerns.
The best serums repair and protect skin against free radical damage, brighten skin, improve skin tone and texture and stimulate natural collagen production.
Serums differ from moisturisers in that they contain higher concentrations of ingredients. Serums also have a smaller molecule size and they penetrate deeper beneath the dermis of the skin than moisturisers.
How To Pick the Right Face Serum for Your Needs:
A great serum that addresses your skincare concerns is a fantastic long-term investment!
Hydration is the key to soft, supple and youthful looking skin – so that’s a great place to start. Even if your skin is oily, hydration is still important (in fact, even oily skin can be dehydrated).
Natural, organic serum ingredients have been proven to be just as effective as chemical-based serums. So spend the time to search for a clean skincare serum and you will get results without any concerns over irritation.
The most important place to begin is choosing the right formulation for your skin type or goal.
Skin concern – “I want a serum to repair damage and pigmentation and brighten my complexion”
We recommend Rare by Nature’s Kakadu Plum Organic Vitamin C Serum
This organic skincare serum contains clinically-proven ingredients designed to:
- Brighten skin, help repair damage & lighten sunspots/hyper-pigmentation
- Slow ageing & lessen the visible appearance of fine lines & wrinkles
- Protect against future free radical damage caused by UV exposure
- Hydrate skin
- Thicken the dermis
- Promote natural collagen production
- Encourage health cell turnover & regeneration
This Australian made serum draws its protective qualities from wild native botanicals that have adapted to withstand and thrive under Australia’s harsh climactic conditions.
Wild, Organic Kakadu Plum
- Known for its clinically proven healing properties, and being the world’s richest natural source of Vitamin C.
- Packed with powerful polyphenols that slow ageing and brighten skin, and is a natural collagen booster.
- Rich in omega fatty acids, vitamins, amino acids and antioxidants that have incredible active skin care benefits.
Organic Australian Native Emu Apple
- A berry that is rich in phyto-nutrients that have outstanding anti-inflammatory properties.
- It has been relied upon by Australia’s Indigenous community for millennia, thanks to its restorative properties and moisturising and revitalising active skin care skin benefits.
Organic Australian Aniseed Myrtle
- Another native inclusion that is packed with a spectrum of vitamins, antioxidants and beneficial minerals.
- Clinically proven to improve skin luminosity (especially revitalising to the under-eye area).
Skin concern – “I want a hydrating serum that will improve my skin elasticity”
We recommend Rare by Nature’s Collagen Reset Organic Facial Serum
This organic skincare serum contains clinically-proven ingredients designed to:
- Increase hydration
- Promote collagen synthesis (collagen is like your body’s own anti-aging protein)
- Reduce the effects of ageing
- Plump fine lines, improve skin elasticity
- Balance the skin
This natural skin care serum is brimming full with powerful actives:
Wild, Organic Marine Collagen
- No, not farmed or factory grown, but rather a natural collagen that comes from healthy, free roaming Artic Codfish. Sourced from the pristine glacial fed waters of the Norwegian Sea, this form of marine collagen is better absorbed and delivers superior results to farmed collagens
- Also provides superior bioavailability, purity and an optimum blend of nutrients for an excellent source of collagen for real skin improvements
- Marine collagen is a highly effective humectant (retains and prevents moisture loss) and is rich in amino acids
Wild, Organic Patagonian Wakame (Fucoidan)
- Sourced from the wild oceans of Patagonia, fucoidan is a seaweed extract that has developed resilience to the natural elements and shields the seaweed from sun, salt and wind.
- These same protective properties are transferred into the serum to deliver deeply rejuvenating effects to the skin.
- Fucoidan inhibits many of the key enzymes responsible for skin damage, whilst protecting and soothing skin.
Wild, Organic Australian Finger Lime & Desert Lime
- The delicate pearl cells of the finger lime caviar contain phyto-active compounds.
- Phyto-active compounds occur naturally in plants and provide antioxidant protection, help them grow and stay free from infection, disease, etc.
- They have restorative and regenerative skin health benefits. Phyto-active compounds assist our skin recovery from environmental pollution, toxins and free-radical damage.
- The phyto-active compounds in this natural serum assist with brightening, hydration and collagen synthesis. They also facilitate skin absorption of the serum.
Organic Kangaroo Paw Flower
- Used for thousands of years by Indigenous Australians
- Rich in phyto-active compounds that repair, hydrate and maintain the balance of healthy skin.
Australian Davidson Plum
- We’ve already mentioned Kakadu Plum’s restorative properties and incredible Vitamin C concentration, but what about Davidson plum?
- Davidson plum contains tartaric acid, gallic acid, quercetin and anthocyanin – an incredible cocktail for collagen support, reducing inflammation and preventing wrinkles.
Wild ingredients and Face Serums
Both of the above serums are formulated with organic skincare ingredients that are drawn from nature.
At Rare by Nature we source ingredients that are grown in wild habitats. Research shows that wild ingredients, grown without human interference are more resilient and produce powerful results in natural skin care. Wild ingredients are healthier and more nutrient dense.
Each Rare by Nature organic skincare ingredient is fully traceable and sustainably sourced. Rare by Nature serums are 100% natural and additive free.
3 Easy Tips to Getting the Most Out of Your Face Serum:
Exfoliation after cleansing will help soften your skin, can help clear impurities and aid in removing the outermost dead layer of skin.
This enables your serum to penetrate deeper, delivering a deep dose of nutrients where needed most.
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation, just ensure you pick a gentle option suitable for your skin and follow the recommended use.
- Lock it In
Serum works even better when paired with a moisturiser and/or face oil.
That’s because moisturiser and face oil will create a seal and hydrating barrier over your serum to prevent it from evaporating in the air and let it get to work bringing about those healthy skin results.
Rare by Nature produce a 100% natural and organic moisturiser from wild fucoidan that is clinically proven to sooth and protect the skin. It works perfectly to lock in the benefits of your serum.
For a further layer Rare by Nature offer a luxurious and rare oil that is cold pressed from Morocan prickly pear seeds. This is an ultra light-weight oil that refines and tightens pores and restores skin elasticity.
Rule of thumb = apply your natural skin care products in order of thinnest to thickest texture after cleansing. E.g., Cleanser, toner, serums, moisturiser, oil, sunscreen.
We recommend layering Rare by Nature organic skincare in the following order:
- Collagen Reset Serum / Kakadu Plum Serum
- Fucoidan Restore Cream
- Prickly Pear Seed Oil
- Stick with it!
Some improvements will appear quickly (such as a radiant glow and softer, smoother skin), more prominent changes come with consistent daily use.
TO RECAP CORE FACE SERUM BASICS:
Serums are pint size skin boosters – packed with active skincare ingredients that work at a visible surface level, and deeper cellular level, to bring forth positive restorative and regenerative improvements to your skin.
Adding a serum to your routine in the AM & PM after cleansing/toning and before moisturising/facial oil can make a big difference to your overall skin health and appearance.
Rare by Nature Collagen Reset Organic Facial Serum for increased skin hydration and elasticity.
Rare by Nature Kakadu Plum Organic Vitamin C Facial Serum for a brighter complexion, pigmentation repair, and an improvement to overall tone.
If you wish to use both serums in your routine - we suggest using one in the morning and the other in the evening.
Rare by Nature skincare and skin capsules are 100% natural and organic, made with care in Australia using powerful wild sourced ingredients.