Seaweed and the fucoidan seaweed extracts have made a big beauty splash, with seaweed leading the hottest skincare trends in recent years.
Seaweed, which encompasses myriad marine algae (including the latest powerhouse skincare ingredient, fucoidan), contains many vitamins, amino acids and antioxidants, as well as minerals such as potassium and iodine. When it comes to skincare, its actions include boosting hydration (thanks to its polysaccharides), free-radical scavenging, supporting collagen production and improving barrier function.
Favourite celebrity cosmetic dermatologist Anna Briggs is a fan, she comments that “Seaweed has numerous benefits for the skin as it is rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other bioactive compounds."
6 benefits of seaweed in skincare
Seaweed offers several advantages when incorporated into skincare products or used directly on the skin. Here are some ways in which seaweed can benefit the skin:
- Nourishing and hydrating: Seaweed contains an abundance of vitamins, including vitamin E, vitamin C, and B vitamins, which nourish the skin and help maintain its health, vitality and glow. Fucoidan extracts are very rich in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron, which help replenish and hydrate the skin, promoting a healthy and dewy moisture balance.
- Anti-defying properties: Fucoidan is a natural source of antioxidants, such as polyphenols, flavonoids, and carotenoids. These help protect the skin against damage from free radicals and environmental stressors. These antioxidants help reduce the signs of ageing, including fine lines, wrinkles, and loss of elasticity, promoting a more youthful appearance.
- Soothing and anti-inflammatory: Seaweed contains compounds like phlorotannins and polysaccharides that possess anti-inflammatory properties. These components help soothe and calm the skin, making seaweed particularly beneficial for those with sensitive or irritated skin conditions, such as acne, rosacea, or eczema.
- Detoxifying and purifying: Fucoidan has natural detoxifying properties, as it can help draw out impurities and toxins from the skin. It contains alginates, which are natural absorbents, capable of binding to heavy metals and pollutants, making seaweed useful in purifying the skin and promoting a clearer complexion.
- Moisturizing and improving skin texture: Seaweed extracts are often included in skincare products due to their ability to enhance skin moisture and improve texture. Seaweed's high mineral content helps to strengthen the skin's natural barrier function, allowing it to retain moisture more effectively and improving overall hydration. This can lead to a smoother, softer, and more supple complexion.
- Brightening and evening skin tone: Certain types of seaweed, such as red algae or kelp, contain compounds that inhibit the production of melanin, the pigment responsible for dark spots and uneven skin tone. Regular use of fucoidan and seaweed-based products can help promote a brighter and more even complexion, reducing the appearance of hyperpigmentation.
It is extracted from wild grown Undaria pinnatifida seaweed (commonly known as wakame) in the ocean waters of Patagonia. This seaweed is hand-harvested in a sustainable way, then carefully refined in a laboratory into an organic skincare extract.
The result is a luxurious active skin care cream that soothes and protects the skin, visibly diminishes fine lines, and maintains the youthful appearance of skin by protecting its building blocks.