You might know that collagen production decreases by 2% each year, with a significant decline at age 30.
The question is whether we can do anything about it.
After a number of leading studies, we have answers. We’ve done the reading for you. Here are our key take-aways.
1. Your body absorbs marine collagen more efficiently than other collagens.
While a lot of collagen is derived from animals such as cows, it turns out that marine collagen is much more bioavailable, with 50% greater absorption.
Marine collagen performs better at improving skin and hair condition, according to findings in the Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology.
2. The secret lies in amino acids that stimulate the skin.
Marine collagen delivers a particularly high dose of the amino acids glycine, proline and hydroxyproline.
The amino acids stimulate cells in skin, bones and connective tissues and lead to the production of new collagen.
3. German scientists have shown that daily collagen significantly improves skin elasticity and reduces wrinkles.
Taking collagen daily helps plump fine lines and improves skin elasticity, firmness, moisture and hydration.
This was shown by a team of scientists from the University of Kiel in Germany. Their clinical study, published in the journal Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, demonstrated a significant increase in skin elasticity and reduced wrinkles in a group of women aged 35 to 55.
4. You can give your skin’s moisture levels a decent bump as well.
Another study carried out by scientists from France, Belgium and Japan showed that taking collagen boosts the skin’s moisture levels.
This placebo-controlled study, published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, showed that taking a peptide-rich collagen over 8 weeks increases the skin’s moisture by an impressive 12%.
5. By taking collagen, you actually boost your own collagen production.
The above multi-country study showed a consistent increase in the skin’s own collagen stores over a 12 week period.
6. Your body benefits too.
Studies point to benefits throughout the body, especially for joints, ligaments, and muscle and bone condition.
Startling new evidence also points to a role in fat reduction. A German study published in British Journal of Nutrition showed benefits for building muscle and reducing fat.
Men who took type 1 collagen peptides alongside a resistance training regimen increased muscle and reduced fat, outperforming those who took a placebo alongside training.
TL/DR: KEY POINTS
- Marine collagen performs better than animal collagens.
- Norwegian sourced marine collagen is high in skin-renewing Type 1 collagen.
- Marine collagen delivers significant results over an 8 week period, plumping skin, reducing wrinkles and benefiting the whole body.
SHOP THE STORY
High in Type 1 collagen, Norwegian Marine Collagen delivers the greatest benefits for skin, hair and body.